Tuesday, May 7, 2024

Fleece Jacket

 I saw some beautiful fleece on sale at Joann's and thought it would be perfect for a fleece jacket.

Originally I was going to make Butterick 5773 which I made eight years ago.

Butterick 5773

Then I saw New Look 6713 and I thought this would make a nice jacket also.  It has zippered pockets.  So a little more involved.  It called for a two-toned look, but I decided to do it all in one color.

I made a muslin in medium with two inches added to the sleeves to check the fit.  I used my Bernina 930 for this.

The shoulders were huge.  Plus, this made the sleeves too long.

I made a new muslin with the medium shoulder and armscye from the vest pattern.  Then I had to use the extra-large shoulder on the sleeves to match the body pattern.

This made for a much better fit.

I decided to make the finished jacket with my Bernina 830.

I used a 28" zipper.  The pattern called for a 29", which I could not find.  But like a review on pattern review, that would be too long.

Here it is:

Thanks for stopping.

Sunday, January 28, 2024

A New Shirt Pattern : Simplicity 9858

 It seems like I make the same shirt patterns over and over again.  So, when I spotted Simplicity 9858, I decided to give it a try.  Of course I bought it on sale for $1.99.

I made view A, but added the collar from view B. I also used a tower packet on the sleeves instead of the square one in the pattern.

I used some heavy cotton material I bought at the thrift store for 99 cents.  I made size medium with two inches added to the sleeve length.

For being a shirt that says "easy to sew", it has some more involved sewing like flat-fell seams and a separate button placket.  It also has set-in sleeves.  

I used my Bernina 640 to make it.

I serged the arm holes with my Brother 523.

Here it is:

This is a heavy duty shirt, almost a shacket.

Thanks for stopping.

Thursday, January 18, 2024

Christmas Shirts

 I found six yards of shirt material for $1.49 at the thrift store.  I decided I would make two short-sleeved shirts with it.  One for me and one for Joe.

Simplicity 7330 instantly came to mind as it is my goto pattern for Joe.  I made him an extra-large and me a large, just so they would be airy for the summer.

I used my Singer Touch Tronic 2010 to make Joe's shirt.  I just picked this up at Goodwill.

I used my Singer Touch Tronic 2001 to make my shirt.  I picked this up at Goodwill a few years ago, 2016 to be exact.

I used the automatic buttonholer with both of them and they both made beautiful button holes.

I used my Singer 6268 to sew a J on Joe's shirt and a W on my shirt to be able to tell them apart easily.

I think they turned out nice.

We promise not to wear them at the same time, except for this photo.

Thanks for stopping.