I mention all the time in this blog how much things cost me. I am a bargain hunter, so when a true bargain comes along I get excited.
Joann's had Simplicity patterns for 99 cents, so I bought several. One of them I bought was a pattern for a Henley shirt and pants.
Then a week later when I was in Wal-Mart, I found a precut 2 yards of a beautiful stretch knit In lovely red for $2, perfect for the shirt. The matching thread cost me more than the material.
Of course I had to sew it on a vintage machine. This time I picked my Singer Diana. It has some stretch stitches, so it was perfect for this shirt. It is an electronic machine from the 1970s. I bought it two years ago from the thrift store for $3.25. The plastic gears that were crumbled cost $10.
Once I traced the pattern onto tissue paper, I started to sew. I had not worked with knit fabric in a long time. I found sewing with a ballpoint needle and using the straight-stitch plate and foot kept from having skipped stitches or the fabric being sucked down the plate opening.
The Diana has a two-step button hole program that made it easy to get the buttons on.