Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Thanksgiving Turkeys

I am being "crafty".   After finishing my Christmas Pillow I decided to try another Holiday project. This project is also from San Francisco Stitch Co.   It is a cute little embroidered turkey for a table decoration.  It also has room inside for a little treat, such as a Hershey kiss.

Li'l Turkey
As I said before, I don't like paying for projects.  But since this one is teaching me a technique, I thought $1.99 was reasonable.

I had a little frustration with the instructions.  I don't know if it was my "brain fog" or something else. I did get the turkey finished, it just took a while.  I rewrote the instructions for the second turkey.

The project comes in 4x4, 5x7, and 6x10.  Since my Janome MC200E does a 5x5,  for my second turkey I took the 4x4 and enlarged it using the Janome's built-in editing software.  I made it 120 percent larger.  This made it easier to work with.

Here is the way I did my second turkey.  I think my way is easier to understand than the instructions.

Be sure to fill the bobbin with brown thread, because the bobbin thread will show.

After attaching lightweight fusible stabilizer to two pieces of beige material that fit my machine's hoop, I embroidered the face on one of the pieces. I skipped the second stitch, it was redundant.  The first stitch is actually a placement line.  But since I know where the embroidery is going to be, I didn't need it.


While the the other piece of material was being embroidered with the body I cut the face out.  Again, I skipped the second stitching.

 I attached the face to the underneath of the embroidery in the hoop with a hand-basting stitch.  The instructions said to use spray adhesive, but I didn't have any.

 The machine bastes on the face to the body.  I removed the hoop to make sure it looked good. Removed my hand-basting stitch, then reattached the hoop to finish the embroidery.

Machine embroidering body.

Face basted on by embroidery machine.

Embroidery finshed

 Finally, I used my sewing machine to "fill in" some places.  I ran out of the brown bobbin thread, so a different color was used.  But it won't show when finished.

Face finished

Body finished

The turkey is folded into position.  A little piece of thread or ribbon is put through little holes in the feathers to hold everything in place.

Two Li'l Turkeys going to dinner.
Two Li'l Turkeys ready for dinner.


Hope you enjoyed my little tutorial on Li'l Turkeys.

Thanks for stopping.

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment