The medium muslin surprised me. The arms and the body seemed to be the right length. The shoulders seemed pretty good. However, there was a lot of extra material around the stomach and in the back. I tried to take in the seams a little, but then decided to try a muslin in small.
The small was way too small. So I decided to make a medium jacket with some adjustments.
I sewed them with my Bernina 1005.
I had some wonderful wool fabric in my stash. It was perfect for a casual jacket.
The first step after interfacing the fronts, sides, and back with lightweight fusible was to install the welt pockets. I didn't like the instructions. I followed Pam Howard in her Modern Jacket Techniques video on Bluprint.
Everything was fine until I tried on my new jacket. The shoulders had wrinkles.
First I pulled the threads and twisted the shoulder to the rear. That helped a little, but I still had wrinkles under the arms. After adjusting the arms several times, I decided to leave them alone.
Now on to the lining. I used a white lining because Wal-Mart had it for $1 a yard. I machine sewed the arms into the body even though the instructions said to hand sew. Otherwise I did quite a bit of hand sewing.
I sewed the jacket with my Bernina 640.
I am modeling the jacket in a made by me outfit. I am wearing a short-sleeved shirt, so no cuff to show.
I am glad to say it is finished after a month of sewing. It was a fun project, I don't know when I'll get a chance to wear it.
Thanks for stopping.