While at the thrift store I found several yards of multicolored denim for the huge price of $1.49. I know it is old because it had a Montgomery Wards tag stapled to it. Since Wards has been out of business nearly twenty years, this makes the denim a vintage fabric.
The pattern I used is one I used before, Simplicity 1328. I have used it as printed and also tweaked it to have a lining and welt pockets. This time I made it as printed in small size with two inches added to the sleeves.
I decided to use my Singer 201 for this project. I bought this machine a few years ago at the thrift store for $2. It didn't have a foot control, that is why it was so affordable. It amazes me how smooth it sews. Especially for being almost 70 years young. Yes, it is a Centennial version, made in 1951.
The first thing I did was lay out the pattern pieces on the fabric. The fabric was only 34" wide, so I had to make sure I had enough. Then I started lining up stripes.
During a trip to Wal-Mart I purchased some material for the pocket and cuff lining. Plus a stop at Joann's for the buttons. I also bought some patterns on sale for $1.99 for future projects.
Maurice helped me line up the pockets.
The button plackets are separate. They are sewed on after the hem is finished, but before the collar. I lined up the red stripe to make the pattern flow. I made the button holes with my Greist buttonholer and the 201.
Here it is finished.
This was a fun project.
Thanks for stopping.