Wednesday, July 4, 2012

McCall's 4079 shirt update

I have been moving along slowly on my McCall's 4079 shirt.  It is not the shirt or the pattern, it is me being slow.  Among other setbacks, I ran out of thread and didn't go to the store for a week.

I have the left sleeve basted onto the shirt, checking it for fit.  I added two inches to the sleeve so it would be the correct length.  I also added three inches to the length of the shirt.  I have white buttons for this shirt, hope it is not too much white.
The collar looks great, but I attached it and reattached it more time than I care to admit or remember.
 The shirt has pleats in the back.  First shirt I made with pleats.
 I am happy some of my Zinnias are beginning to bloom.

 Thanks for stopping to see the update.
I am sure I will have it finished before long.


  1. Looks good! I made this same pattern as my first shirt. I accidentally reversed the pleats, but left them as a "signature touch". I had similar issues with the collar, but mainly because I was making it more difficult than it needed to be. I think Peter has some good tips on collars, and there is a great YouTube video - that helped tremendously in actually seeing it done. Looking forward to the finished product.

  2. Nothing is more 'classic' or versatile than a completely white shirt!

    Several years ago I had the privilege of taking a 3-day workshop with fine shirt guru David Page Coffin. If you don't have his book, you should! It offers many great tips on everything from 3-way rolled collars to modifying the pattern to make a fully enclosed armscye.

    I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product!