Sunday, August 22, 2021

I Can't Resist A Bargain

 I mention all the time in this blog how much things cost me.  I am a bargain hunter, so when a true bargain comes along I get excited.

Joann's had Simplicity patterns for 99 cents, so I bought several.  One of them I bought was a pattern for a Henley shirt and pants.

Simplicity 11085



Then a week later when I was in Wal-Mart, I found a precut  2 yards of a beautiful stretch knit In lovely red for $2, perfect for the shirt.  The matching thread cost me more than the material.

Of course I had to sew it on a vintage machine.  This time I picked my Singer Diana.  It has some stretch stitches, so it was perfect for this shirt. It is an electronic machine from the 1970s.  I bought it two years ago from the thrift store for $3.25. The plastic gears that were crumbled cost $10.


Once I traced the pattern onto tissue paper, I started to sew.  I had not worked with knit fabric in a long time.   I found sewing with a ballpoint needle and using the straight-stitch plate and foot kept from having skipped stitches or the fabric being sucked down the plate opening.

The Diana has a two-step button hole program that made it easy to get the buttons on.




It is a comfortable shirt.  I am glad I made it.

Thanks for stopping.


1 comment:

  1. you should get a serger would make quick work sewing with knits

    ReplyDelete