Friday, August 6, 2021

Butterick 2124

 After watching some educational sewing videos put out by mainelymenswear.com on YouTube, I decided to try Duane's "go to" shirt pattern.  This is Butterick 2124 from the 1960s.



I bought my pattern on Etsy .  A couple of the pieces were pretty fragile, so I copied them onto Swedish Tracing Paper.   This was also recommended by Duane.  The paper is tough but opaque so copying is really easy.  I purchased a 16 neck pattern because this equals size 42, which should fit Joe.  When holding the pattern up to a recent shirt, I realized the only difference was the Butterick was two inches longer.  I decided to move ahead with the shirt without modifying the pattern.

I used my Bernina 1120 to sew this shirt.



This pattern is a little more difficult than modern patterns.  The left and right fronts are different because the right has a sew-on placket and the left simply folds over.  The instructions call for sew-in facing, but I used Pellon 881 fusible.

It also has a small yoke.  When doing the burrito method to sew on the inner yoke, a person really has to roll everything tight.

The hem is a rolled-hem, so I used my Bernina's rolled-hem foot to make quick work of it.  




Joe likes the shirt and the matching mask.

Thanks for stopping.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent workmanship on details. Great fit, light weight material for these hot days. Thank you Wil

    ReplyDelete