Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Ahoy Sailor!

I bounce around between sewing apparel and quilts.  This time it is a baby quilt called "Ahoy Sailor".  It is a cute little nautical themed quilt with sailboats.  You can get the pattern here .



The pattern was released in 2016.  I had to look around for fabric.  I also asked in my quilt class (via zoom meeting) where I might find the fabric.  I received a lot of good suggestions.  One was Saltwaterfabrics.com .

I found the nautical fat quarters I needed for the quilt at Saltwaterfabrics. The white material was from my stash.  I purchased the backing and the other material from Joann's.  Half the fun of making this quilt was hunting for fabric.

My Bel Air Bantam with a 1/4" foot was the machine used for this project.


I started making the boats, and realized the measurements for the large sails were  extremely accurate.  7 3/4 by 4 7/8.  This made for some fussing with the ruler to get the right size. Then once the large sail is sewn, it is cut down to 7 1/4 by 4 3/8.  Needless to say, I ended up with some going in the garbage.


The first of 14 boats finished
Once I finished the boats, I started piecing them together to form the quilt.  Unlike the model quilt, I used a light blue material under the boats to mimic water.

Here it is before quilting.


I used my Necchi to quilt it by stitching in the ditch.  I used Pellon FB-96 cotton batting.

Here it is finished.  It measured 60 inches by 60 inches.


This was a fun project.

Thanks for stopping.


1 comment: