Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Getting Closer to a Wearable Jacket!

I have been working on jackets since December.  I haven't made one work until Butterick 6022 from 1988.  Even though it is very simple, it fits me.  This pattern is size small, I lengthened the sleeves, but not the body.

Should I look for more Eighties patterns?  I think this was a fluke, so probably not.  Since this era of pattern is noted for being over-sized.

I used a cotton twill fabric I bought online from Fashion Fabrics Club.  A little prone to wrinkles, but looks nice.

 I made lined pockets, flat fell seams, and added interfacing to the cuffs.  There was a choice to use shoulder pads, but I think it looks better without.  Also, this jacket has no chest padding.

 Even though this pattern has "very easy" on it, I am happy I have had experience with jackets, since they are not easy.  This did go together in a week, so rather quick for a jacket.

I sewed this with my Wilson Rotary Sewing Machine (made by White).  This showed me again how great, vintage straight-stitch machines handle any job.


Here I am in a total made by me outfit.









I think this is definitely wearable.  A little adjustment to the facing to prevent the front from curving in and a little material taken out of arms would perfect this pattern for me.

I have not decided what my next project will be, but it might be another jacket,  with a lining and a chest piece.  I will be sure to share some of the techniques I have learned.

Thanks for stopping.






11 comments:

  1. That jacket hangs really nicely. And smoothly! Some of the previous jackets had looked a little home ec-y; still high quality construction, but they probably didn't have as much padding or interfacing as they'd need to lie properly. But that one looks really nice!

    Congrats!

    Tegan

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my opinion, the best one you've done so far. Very nice work and the fabric looks great. The length of the torso looks perfect. I'm going to check on that fabric...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The whole outfit looks great. Nice job with the jacket!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you've made the leap from homemade to custom made. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy smokes! That pattern worked out great for you. I agree with everyone else, this is the best yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great. Very versatile. You can dress this up or down. You should be very proud.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You worked this out nicely. I really like the shirt, pants and jacket all together. The colours work very well together as well as the different textures of the fabrics. Jackets take enthusiasm to tackle and your hard work is paying off, well done : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. You worked this out nicely. I really like the shirt, pants and jacket all together. The colours work very well together as well as the different textures of the fabrics. Jackets take enthusiasm to tackle and your hard work is paying off, well done : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. Woah! That looks fantastic! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Michael. I can't reply to your blog post because you are a no-reply blogger.

    ReplyDelete