Tuesday, February 17, 2015

The Thai Shacket.

I watched a friend's dog when she went to Thailand over two years ago.  When she came back she brought me a gift of fabric which she charged me $20 for.  Not wanting to get her mad, I paid for my gift and put it in my fabric stash. It would he nice to get some similar material for another project.  However, she stopped talking to me right after that because I wouldn't stalk her ex-boyfried for her.  (Yes, she was a little nutty.)

Anyway,  This is a lightweight woven cotton material that the pattern runs only halfway through the yardage.  I thought it would shrink quite a bit when washed, but it did not.   It took me a while to find a pattern I thought would work with this material.   Thus, the shacket.  The yardage being only 34" wide made for some interesting choices on my pattern placement.  I barely had enough material.   I usually dress conservatively, so this shacket will be quite a change.  But a fun change.


I bough Simplicty 1328 at Joann's for $1 during one of their frequent sales.  I wanted to make sure a small would be the right size, and to check the body and sleeve length, so I made a sort-of muslin.   Surprisingly the small was the right size except for the sleeve length.  I added two inches to the sleeves.  This shacket would he quite long on someone shorter than my 6'2".

My sort-of muslin

Ready to cut out

The material started unraveling, so I stitched close to the edge around the pieces to stop it.
I serged the armscyes and sewed the seam allowance down to look like a flat felled seam.
I did flat fell the side seams.  Interesting that this pattern instructed how to use the burrito method to finish the yoke.


Armscye and inside yoke


The button plackets are two-piece.  A little more work.  The inside of the button placket matches the inside yoke and the pocket lining.


I didn't think I had enough material to make the lower pockets, so I cut them out last and lined them.  I think the contrast looks good. 

Pocket lining


Ready to go.

Looks good buttoned also


Yoke matches sleeves

My first tower tower type cuff.  


I have made cuffs before, but simple versions, not the tower type.  These went smoothly since the directions were good.

My only problem with this pattern was the collar stand was too small.  I actually cut out the large stand when I found the small would not work.  Thankfully I had enough material.  The only other thing I would do is line the top pockets, since the flaps are lined.

I am sure to get a lot of use out of my shacket.  I always dress in layers, this will work great when walking Max or when it isn't cool enough for a sweater or jacket.

Thanks for stopping.


8 comments:

  1. That's great. I also really like the fabric, and while it is probably unseemly to link to my own shop, you can get similar here
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/notionallybetter?section_id=16012218&ref=shopsection_leftnav_2

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the link to the fabric. It is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great jacket. It looks great on you. The pattern on that fabric is nice and the solid pickets & collar keep it conservative and stylish

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you have not already discovered her, check out Pam Erny's blog, "Off the Cuff" for excellent shirt tutorials. Pam is a shirtmaker and carries the most wonderful shirt interfacing.
    Theresa in Tucson

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the contrasting pockets. A great make with your gifted fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the contrasting pockets. A great make with your gifted fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This came out great. Awesome fabric! I'll probably jump on the shacket bandwagon for next fall.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I see that you have the same machine as me - I just inherited a montgomery ward 2001 and it needs to be oiled badly- sounds like a truck- could you tell me how to oil this machine - thanks - could you email me cause I may not find my way back here to your blog

    ReplyDelete