Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Joe's 7330 Simplicity Shirt update

I have been working on Joe's new shirt over the past few days.  It has been coming along fairly quickly.  Since I made this pattern before, it saves some of those "Duh, that is what the instructions mean" moments.

I purchased a new iron a few weeks ago.  My old one was still heating, but the steam had not been working for quite a while.  What a difference a little steam makes!

Black and Decker Iron

I sewed on the pocket to the left side.  There was not enough material to cut the pocket out so the stripes would match perfectly, I did the best I could do.  Lines up pretty good.

One thing I like about this pattern is the steps it saves by having the front placket all one piece.  A person simply irons in the interfacing and folds over to form the placket.  No sewing the placket on.

A new trick I found on a informative blog   off-the-cuff-style.blogspot.com makes the collar points nice and easy.  I also watched a video on you tube by BrianSews.com  about this method.

Sew the long end of the collar.  Put a piece of looped thread against the seam and let it hang out as shown.

Sew the short ends.  Set the stitch to a shorter distance as you near the the looped thread. As you turn the collar right-side out, pull on the tails of the thread until the collar point pops out.  The looped thread just pulls out and you have a nice point.

Finished collar without all the trimming and fussing.

A nice sharp point.

That is it for the update.

Thanks for stopping.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing the tips! The shirt is looking great.