Sunday, April 24, 2022

Kwik Sew 3883 Dress Shirt

 I need a lightweight white dress shirt.  When looking in my closet I decided I had none. 

I went to JC Penney's and found none in my size.  Then I went to Macy's where the clerk measured me and decided I needed a 16 neck and a 36 sleeve.  She found me a Calvin Klein slim-fit shirt.

I told her $75 for a simple shirt was too expensive.  She quickly adjusted the price to $45.  I guess it pays to haggle!

At home, I noticed the sleeve packets were square and not pointed.  I thought this was odd, maybe just a styling feature.

Calvin Klein sleeve


I decided I would use a $12 white sheet from Wal-Mart and Kwik Sew 3883 to see if I could make a similar dress shirt.  I used size medium and added 2" to the sleeve length.


The sheet was so wrinkled even after washing, I had to press it with my Singer CSP-1  press I bought from the thrift store last year but I hadn't used much.



An interesting part of this pattern is it has a 1/4" seam allowance.  Because of this, after sewing with my Bernina 930 with a 1/4" foot, I serged the seams with my Brother 523.




Another feature not on many shirts, is a sew on button packet for the left side.  The right side is folded over as usual.   The yoke was quite small, so was the one on the store-bought shirt.

Here is my store-bought shirt modeled with McCall's 7987 slacks I made a while ago.


Here is my Kwik Sew shirt.


I haven't decided which shirt I am going to wear.  Decisions....

Thanks for stopping.



No comments:

Post a Comment