Friday, January 26, 2018

My First Quilting Class

Since I am making quilts now, I want to learn how to free motion quilt.  This is when the quilt sandwich(quilt top, batting, and backing) is sewn together with designs all over to enhance the quilt and keep the batting in place.  The feed dogs are lowered and a darning foot is used so the quilt can move in all directions.

I have not taken any type of class for over ten years, so with great anxiety I signed up for a free motion quilting class.

I went home with the class supply list and found I had everything but quilting gloves, which I bought at Joann's.   My main problem was deciding which sewing machine to take.  I finally decided on my Bernina 1005.

The class was really small, only me and one other.  So they were happy to have Joe sit and watch the fun.

I had such a good time, I am signing up for a beginning quilt class next month.

In the interim I will be practicing my free motion quilting.

Her are some class photos:
Ironing before I start

Using my quilting gloves to grip fabric 

Bernina 1005 doing a great job

Some of my free motion quilting


Instructor Anelie at machine

Sample quilt made in a class


Thanks for stopping.

1 comment:

  1. you did great, I have not mastered circles and squares. Looking forward to see more quilts.

    ReplyDelete