Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Back to the Eighties

I haven't seen denim jackets around for a while, possibly since the Eighties.  It is interesting how things come and go in style.

I found Kwik Sew 3251 on sewingpatterns.com .  The interesting thing with this pattern is it looks just like a Levi's jacket Joe has.  This made my jacket easier to assemble because I had a model.   I am sewing a small size of this pattern with two inches added to the length and the arms.


I was inspired to do this jacket after watching Janet Pray make a women's denim jacket in this Craftsy class.  She shows step-by-step how to make her jacket pattern.  She shows lots of tips and does teach how to sew faster and better.  I did flat fell some seams, even though she serges all.

I used my DressMaster machine to sew this and do the topstitching.  The American made White machines with friction drive do incredible straight stitches.  Plus they will sew through anything, even several layers of denim.

I used 5/8" metal embossed nickel buttons for use on jeans purchased from Wawak.com.  I installed them by squeezing together the two pieces with pliers, instead of hammering together.  I attached my "White" buttonholer to my DressMaster.






I was warned by a reader about the sizing.  Yes, it is big in the shoulders, so  I might make it again after adjusting the shoulders.   Since the denim was $1.50 per yard on closeout at Walmart, I made this jacket inexpensively.

I enjoyed the topstitching so much I am planning on making another jacket with the same pattern, but with beige denim, adjusted shoulders, and only 1" added to the sleeves. 

I also plan on using my new Necchi Supernova Ultra BF that followed me home for $4.50.


Thanks for stopping.


4 comments:

  1. Of everything you have posted this is probably my favorite. Looks good, looks well made and comfy. I really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this jacket on you. The top-stitching looks great

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, very flattering on you. Beautiful work, took me back to when everyone had one, either Lee or Levi.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, nice job on the jacket. The front pockets look great. And a BF Nova for $4.50? Excellent!!

    ReplyDelete