Saturday, November 19, 2016

It runs!

When buying a vintage sewing machine in person, I can check how it runs.  That doesn't mean it sews, but I can usually tell.  I check to see if the feed dogs move, if the bobbin spins, and if the machine responds to different settings.

Buying a machine over the internet is entirely different. The seller assures you it runs.  However, recently I bought two Singers from Goodwill online that ran, but that was it.

The first is a Touchtronic 2001.  It was $7.99 plus $15.00 shipping.  I have a Touchtronic 2000 and haven't been able to find a 2001 locally, so I took a chance.

Touchtronic 2001

Once I received it, I was relieved all the electronics worked fine, but it was out of time and would not sew. When taking the bottom off, I found plastic gear pieces falling out.

I never replaced gears in a sewing machine, but after searching the internet I found a set for $10.  It took a little tinkering to get it sewing, but in the end, I feel it is worth it.

The second is a Diana 560.  It was $7.99 and $13 shipping.
Diana 560

The same thing happened. It was out of time and the gears were crumbling.  I searched the I internet for some gears and got it sewing again.
Old gears

New gears
The 2001 is 38 and the Diana is 40 years young.  It is hard to believe 1976 was 40 years ago!  So I don't fault the machines, I am just happy gears are readily available.

Just a short blog to remind myself and others a vintage machine might need some repairs besides cleaning and oiling.  Just because it runs, doesn't mean it sews.

Thanks for stopping.



1 comment:

  1. Oddly enough, I was never interested in sewing when I was a kid back in the 1970s but I distinctly remember those Polly Bergen ads.

    Good job fixing those two machines! The Touchtronic looks especially cool.

    ReplyDelete