Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Burda 128 Redo, Part One

My first try at Burda Jacket 128 would have been better if I had more education in sewing.  I think it was a good start, but after learning some new skills the redo will be much better.

The videos I mentioned in my previous blog definitely have me feeling more confident.  The original jacket pattern has two side vents and patch pockets.  After watching and learning, I sewed welt pockets and a single vent.

I am using a cotton flannel material from Joann I was going to make a shirt-jacket with.  It is working great for this jacket.  It is easier to iron and is holding shape much better than the polyester material I used for the prior jacket.

My first welt pocket with a flap looks pretty good.



I feel better about this chest pocket compared to the first jacket.  I watched this video for instruction instead of using the Burda instructions.
Last time I fought with it forever.  But this time it went fast and easy.


 Handmade By Carolyn showed a flat fell side seam with vent for a shirt, but I used the method for the rear seam and vent.
Vent open

Vent closed

The inside with fusible interfacing and pockets installed.


This is what it looks like now.


I am sewing this with my Kenmore 117.959.  It is doing a wonderful job.


I am hopeful this jacket will be better than the first.  Especially since I am  following Male Devon Sewing Blazer of 2016 Challenge.

Thanks for stopping.

2 comments:

  1. I agree, this looks much better -- great, especially that chest pocket! It looks like it's laying very flat and smooth. Love the herringbone fabric, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pockets are looking great. I'm glad you decided to use a natural fiber fabric. So much easier to work with. Just keep pressing as you go.

    ReplyDelete