Friday, October 2, 2015

Skinny Khaki Pants Redo, Part Two

I finally became motivated to finish my skinny khaki pants redo.  I only had the waistband and hem to finish, but somehow I couldn't look at these pants.  I like to sew, but adjusting patterns takes patience and know-how.  I have patience,  just short on know-how. Then I realized after looking at my blog it had been a month since I worked on them, so I decided I better get going.

If you remember, I am trying to make Simplicity 1286 pants more wearable for me by using some techniques in Singer, Sewing Pants that Fit.
Original pattern

The pants were way too skinny for me, so using my Singer book and suggestions from my readers, I made some adjustments to the pattern.  I like the results.  However, a little more tweaking is needed.

I used a size 38 with a size 36 waist, I shortened the darts, I made a real welt pocket, and I lined-up the belt loops better.  These were tips from my readers.

I also lengthened the rise, lengthened the legs, and adjusted the seat.  These were tips from my Singer book.

Lengthen rise


Lengthen pant legs

Tighten Seat

Here is what my redo looks like.





The pants are comfortable and getting closer to my liking, but a little more adjustment in the crotch length is needed.  Since I bought this material for $1 a yard, it is very affordable to work with.  I was only able to get enough for two pants because it was a closeout.  Hopefully I get the fit wanted with my next try.

I have been sewing these with my White 305 sewing machine.  It is a semi-industrial machine.  It uses round-shank industrial needles and industrial style bobbin and case.  The 1.3 amp motor will plow through anything and still have a beautiful stitch.  Also the length goes to 7.  This is a great basting stitch.

White 305

Thanks for stopping.

6 comments:

  1. The pants look more comfortable with your adjustments and the seat fits better. Great job! Fitting is one of those things that can take several tries and is individual to the person wearing the garment. I'm in the midst of fitting, adjusting and tweeking a pattern and I'm on my 4 th fitting. Almost got it where I want it : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you got the front belt loops symmetrically placed, but rule of thumb for front placement is just above the pants crease. The width on this pair is a little narrow, note how your belt buckle is fighting the space it has between the loops. But otherwise looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are the equivalent to make a muslin when it's only $1 per yard. Great article and tips.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are the equivalent to make a muslin when it's only $1 per yard. Great article and tips.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - that's really nice material for $1 a yard! It must have been a nice thrift store find. I own a couple similar Singer sewing books. I like them. I'll have to look for the one you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete