I had some heavy denim in my stash I bought at the thrift store. I was thinking a pair of jeans, but after measuring the fabric I decided I had only enough to make shorts.
I washed and dried the material twice. Hopefully that will be enough shrinkage. I read online some people wash denim up to five times before cutting out the pattern.
I am using Simplicity 1948 in size 36, which is waist 30". This is a pants pattern, but I have made it before as shorts. I used lightweight denim. Hard to believe it has been two years since making these.
|Joe's shorts made 2013|
|My Mod shorts made 2013|
So this will be different because I am using heavy denim and top stitching with denim thread. I bought size 14 needles, which seem to work fine for the sewing, but when I tried top stitching, the machine skipped some stitches. So I put in a size 16 needle and tried again. This time the stitching looked good.
This is also a good test for my Singer 7470. It has been plowing through the denim with no problem. I used three different feet to top stitch the pockets with three stitches to get the stitching straight. The standard foot and two different blind-stitch feet and a seam guide.
I do think the pockets came out nice. I used a french-seam for the pocket bottom for a more finished look. Plus I couldn't help from using a decorative stitch too.