Thursday, August 7, 2014

Vogue 8719 Jacket Venture Continues

I have been sewing everyday.  I am so enthused about this jacket, that I want to get it finished so I can wear it.  Of course, it will have to get a little cooler first.  It is still 100 degrees here in California.

I don't own an unlined jacket, or a jacket with patch-pockets, so I am looking at the internet for examples of what I am making.

The instructions for this jacket are either for a more advanced sewist, or very vague.  I haven't decided which.  First it was the bias-tape instructions.  They were horrible.  I tried, but ended up making bias-tape my own way since Vogue's way only ended with a mess of fabric strips.  When I make this jacket again, I think I will buy bias-tape.  Also, I was supposed to simply sew on the tape with a regular foot.  If I didn't happen to have a bias foot, I would have never been able to do it.

Then I started the lined-patch-pockets.  My first pockets looked horrible.  After watching some good and bad Youtube videos, I was able to make some nice pockets. This was a good video.  Again, very vague instructions by Vogue.

Pockets

Pocket Lining

Front

Back

Front

Inside

Pocket Close-Up
The collar and sleeves are next.  It should be challenging.

Thanks for stopping.

3 comments:

  1. It looks promising. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fit looks great and should be perfect for Fall. 100 degrees? Yikes! I really like that you've stuck with it despite poor instructions and work-arounds. Good on you, Wil!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh! The instructions that come with patterns. I sometimes think they're intended to insure that we'll be unhappy with the results. You should look for one of the Clover brand bias makers. I find the red one to be a useful size. About $7 on eBay. Once you have one you'll find all sorts of uses for it. Tailor on!

    ReplyDelete