This coat was fun to make, even though I strayed from the pattern quite a bit. This pattern is really for a raincoat, but after reading how other reviewers had reported they picked this pattern for the general form, and altered it for their use. I did the same.
I used a 50 percent blend of wool and polyester for the shell and a lightweight polyester with insulation for the lining. I made a size 38 to allow some room for the insulation. I usually wear a 36. I lengthened the body 4 inches and the sleeves two inches. I made welt pockets instead of the big patch pockets. I added cuffs. I made the collar more traditonal. I also put a zipper in and snaps on. It turned out just what I had pictured.
The biggest hurdle on this project was the thickness of the material. Two layers fine, but 6 layers plus interfacing on top of a zipper was too thick to put under the foot of several of my machines. Then I remembered my Necchi BU. This thing is a beast! I think I would break the scale if I weighed it. It fit all that material under the foot and sewed through it like butter.
One slight hurdle was the snaps. More of a learning experience. Most snap attaching is done with a hammer. I have never been good with a hammer so when I saw the Dritz plier-style snap attacher, I thought this would be perfect. It did work fine. However, I am glad I paid $10 for it and not the listed $30. It did the job, but even for $10 it should have been better made. I think after a few coats worth of snaps it would be toast. That is unless I lose the rubber adapter needed to put in half the snap first.
I ended up using 6 machines for this project. One by necessity.(Necchi BU) The others for different aspects of the project. My Kenmore 70 and 100. My Bernina 530. My Singer 6268. And don"t forget I needed a label. So my Janome 200E embroidery machine was also necessary.
What it is supposed to look like:
|Cuff with snap|
|Dritz 24P snap pliers|
|Liner trimmed with bias tape and attached to shell|
|Comparing to coats in store window|
Thanks for stopping.